Sunday 30 March 2014

Macbeth Act 1~~My First Thoughts






Having started reading Macbeth, I feel the urge to avoid creepy, old ladies at all costs! Needless to say, the three witches have made a strong opening impression, although not in a very positive way. The line that they recite, "fair is foul, and foul is fair" (I.i.11) reveals their wicked and twisted personality; they find evil and bad things good, while righteous and pleasant things are considered vile. While this has made me wary of their presence, I am also a bit intrigued as to how their predictions will play out. I am positive that they will play a major role in Macbeth's downfall and will be the main reason why this play is coined a tragedy. I also look forward to see how Macbeth's character will change throughout the play when he gets raised to the King's position. I am equally interested in Banquo's character because the witches predict that "[he] shalt get kings" (I.iii.67), which means that his heirs will challenge Macbeth's position as King. Another character that I find compelling is Lady Macbeth. Although she is not introduced thoroughly in the first act, I feel that she will prove to be a key player in Macbeth's journey to kingship. 

Through all these years in high school, I have become fairly acquainted with Shakespearean plays. I can only say acquainted, but not capable of deciphering his literature, whether it is his language or "sense of humour". In fact, I find it impossible to fully understand his plays without referencing to a source (i.e. a visual representation) as back up. This is expected since his works were all written to be acted out. However, while I have read Shakespearean comedies like "A Midsummer's Night Dream" and "Twelfth Night", I have had little experience with his tragedies. With the exception of "Romeo and Juliet", I have barely touched on any other Shakespearean tragedy. I have a faint idea that Macbeth will end in murders and tears, but I am curious of how the details will all come together. All in all, I am looking forward to learning more about Macbeth and the darker side of Shakespeare's writing. 

(Image link: http://damnedspot.wikispaces.com/file/view/Macbeth_Wordle.png/147168713/820x449/Macbeth_Wordle.png)

No comments:

Post a Comment